SpaceX Will Shift To New Launch Pad Following Explosion Last Week | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-08.25.25

Airborne-NextGen-08.26.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.27.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-08.28.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.22.25

Wed, Sep 07, 2016

SpaceX Will Shift To New Launch Pad Following Explosion Last Week

Launches Will Be Conducted From Pad 39A ... Which Is Still Under Construction

The explosion of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket last week caused extensive damage to Launch Complex 40, and left the company with few options to continue its launch schedule.

In a statement released last Friday, SpaceX Said that the pad "clearly incurred damage, but the scope has yet to be fully determined."

An investigation will determine if there was a problem with the rocket that will need to be addressed before the company can resume flight operations.

SpaceX has some 70 launch missions on its books aboard Falcon rockets valued at more than $10 billion, according to a report from Reuters. The company said that its launch schedule will be shifted to pad 39A, the site of so many historic launches that was leased to SpaceX last year. That facility is still undergoing an update to accommodate the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets which is expected to be completed in November.

SpaceX had planned to continue to operate Falcon 9 launches from Launch Complex 40, and use 39A later this year for the first test flight of the Falcon Heavy.

The next SpaceX launch from Florida was not planned until October. The company's next scheduled launch in September will lift off from California.

Meanwhile the company that owned the satellite that was destroyed when the Falcon 9 blew up on the launchpad says SpaceX owes them $50 million ... or a free flight, according to CNBC.

The mission was intended to boost a communications satellite for Space Communications of Israel. The company said in a conference call that Spacecom was also eligible to receive $205 million from Israel Aerospace Industries, the manufacturer of the AMOS-6 satellite.

The satellite was intended to be used by Facebook, Eutelsat Communications, and other clients. Facebook and Eutelsat are reportedly looking at other options.

SpaceX did not immediately respond to the company's claim, according to the report.

(Image from file)

FMI: www.spacex.com

Advertisement

More News

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (08.27.25)

Aero Linx: The American Society of Aerospace Medicine Specialists (ASAMS) The Society is a non-profit organization created to serve as a voice for and represent the professional ne>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (08.27.25): Class C Service

Class C Service This service provides, in addition to basic radar service, approved separation between IFR and VFR aircraft, and sequencing of VFR aircraft, and sequencing of VFR a>[...]

ANN FAQ: Submit a News Story!

Have A Story That NEEDS To Be Featured On Aero-News? Here’s How To Submit A Story To Our Team Some of the greatest new stories ANN has ever covered have been submitted by our>[...]

Airborne-NextGen 08.26.25: Iran UAV Knockoffs, X-37B Spaceplane, Army Training

Also: ERAU Uses UAVs, P550 Group 2 UAS, Starship’s Florida Launches, NASA Missions Chopped The Air Force has put out a call to commission a one-to-one copy of the Iranian-des>[...]

Classic Klyde Morris (08.25.25)

Classic Klyde Morris From 11.07.16 (and Remembering Bob...) FMI: www.klydemorris.com>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC