Ontario, Canada Pilot Found Guilty On Two Misconduct Charges | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-08.25.25

Airborne-NextGen-08.26.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.27.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-08.28.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.22.25

Thu, Jan 26, 2017

Ontario, Canada Pilot Found Guilty On Two Misconduct Charges

Had Objected To The Relocation Of SAR Helicopter

A pilot who opposed the relocation of an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) search and rescue helicopter from Sudbury to Orillia has been found guilty on two counts of misconduct for publicly opposing the move.

Sgt. Dan Mulligan had been charged with breach of confidence and discreditable conduct after he wrote a letter critical of the move to the Sudbury Star, the local newspaper.

The paper reports that the allegations were heard last year by OPP Supt. Robin D. McElary-Downer in Orillia, and his decision with reasons was released Friday.

Mulligan had pleaded not guilty to both counts, and had mounted a "whistleblower" defense for his actions. McElary-Downer said that the defence did not apply in this case.

The decision to move the aircraft was based partly on a potential savings of $254,000 (Canadian) to the department. Mulligan had said in the letter that the move amounted to a gamble with lives in the northern part of the province in an effort to save money. In the hearing, he told McElary-Downer that he "could not sleep" if he had not gone public with his position, and felt it was his duty as the senior pilot to say the move was "unquestionably a mistake."

In her decision, McElary-Downer said that Mulligan had communicated with the media without authorization, and that his accusations had been made without any foundation in fact. She also said that money had been found for a third helicopter to be positioned in the northern part of the province. The OPP entered into a contract six-month contract with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry in Thunder Bay for the use of a helicopter which went into effect November 1, 2016.

McElary-Downer said that while it was evident that Mulligan was genuinely concerned about the safety of residents in the northern portion of the province, he "failed to convince me his only option was to go to the media, rather than report his concerns through the chain of command."

Any penalties against the pilot will be released at a later date.

(Image provided by the Ontario Provincial Police via Flickr)

FMI: Full Article

Advertisement

More News

Aero-News: Quote of the Day (08.28.25)

“We have seen astounding demand for the G800, and the entire Gulfstream team is excited to begin making deliveries to our customers. The G800 is entering service with extraor>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (08.28.25)

Aero Linx: Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) Recreational Aviation Australia is progressively working towards improving safety outcomes through a holistic approach to safety >[...]

Classic Klyde Morris (08.25.25)

Classic Klyde Morris From 11.07.16 (and Remembering Bob...) FMI: www.klydemorris.com>[...]

Airborne 08.25.25: Zenith Homecoming, VP Racing, Affordable Flying Expo 2025

Also: GADFLY AI-Driven Engine Analysis, Knockoff Iranian Drones, Russian Surveillance, 40 NASA Missions Chopped This year’s Zenith Homecoming event will soon be taking off at>[...]

Airborne 08.22.25: ARC Spinoff, Nat'l Championship Air Races, Hawkins Accident

Also: H55 Completes American Tour, Robinson Trade-Ins, Retired AV-8B Harrier, NS-35 Mission Organizers of the iconic annual Air Race Classic will soon be opening registration for t>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC