Gatwick Airport Closed Due To Drone Sightings | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-08.25.25

Airborne-NextGen-08.26.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.27.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-08.28.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.22.25

Thu, Dec 20, 2018

Gatwick Airport Closed Due To Drone Sightings

Thousands Of Passengers Stranded, Officials Say It Could Take 'Days' To Recover

The runway at London's Gatwick airport was closed late Wednesday night local time, and remained closed much of the day Thursday, due to reports of what is being called a deliberate disruption of air travel using drones.

The U.K. newspaper The Telegraph reports that flights at Gatwick, London's second-largest airport, were suspended about 9:00 p.m. local time Wednesday, and the airport was not expected to reopen until mid afternoon Thursday at the earliest. Airport COO Chris Woodroofe said it could take days for the airport to return to normal operations.

In a Tweet, airport administrators said they advised anyone flying from Gatwick or picking someone up at the airport Thursday should check the status of their flight. "We apologize to any affected passengers for this inconvenience but the safety of our passengers and all staff is our foremost priority," the Tweet reads.

Sussex police said that the incident is a "deliberate act to disrupt the airport," but added that "there are absolutely no  indications to suggest this is terror related."

An airport staff member said that the drones had been seen flying "over the perimeter fence" near the main runway. Woodroofe said that the drones disappeared from about 9:00 p.m. util about 3:00 a.m., at which point the runway was reopened.

But about 45 minutes later, the drones were back. Woodroofe said the situation would be reviewed during the daylight hours.

About 20 police units were reportedly looking for the person or people operating the drone or drones. Authorities said that the risk of a stray bullet made shooting down the aircraft too dangerous, but they were looking for other ways to disable the aircraft.

The U.K. newspaper The Mirror reports that Eurocontrol plans to keep the runway closed until at least 4:00 p.m. local time. More than 120,000 passengers travel plans have been disrupted by the incident.

(Image from file)

FMI: Source report, Source report

Advertisement

More News

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (08.26.25): TRSA Service

TRSA Service This service provides, in addition to basic radar service, sequencing of all IFR and participating VFR aircraft to the primary airport and separation between all parti>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (08.26.25)

Aero Linx: United Flying Octogenarians WELCOME to a most extraordinary group of aviators, the United Flying Octogenarians (UFO). Founded in 1982 with just a handful of pilots, we h>[...]

NTSB Final Report: Maule M7

(Pilot) Landed With A Quartering Tailwind On A Short Runway With Limited Go-Around Options Analysis: The pilot reported that he attempted to land at his home airstrip using a &ldqu>[...]

Classic Aero-TV: Team Aerostars - New Extras Upgrade Team's Performance

From 2019 (YouTube Edition): Yak 52s Have Been Replaced With Extra Aerobatic Airplanes For 2019 The Phillips 66 Aerostars have been performing together, side by side at around 250 >[...]

ANN FAQ: Submit a News Story!

Have A Story That NEEDS To Be Featured On Aero-News? Here’s How To Submit A Story To Our Team Some of the greatest new stories ANN has ever covered have been submitted by our>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC