Smith Condemns Administration’s Space Exploration Delays | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-08.25.25

Airborne-NextGen-08.26.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.27.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-08.28.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.22.25

Fri, Sep 18, 2015

Smith Condemns Administration’s Space Exploration Delays

NASA Says First Manned Orion Launch 'Not Later Than April, 2023'

NASA's announcement that the Orion spacecraft will be ready for a manned launch "not later than April, 2023" drew a sharp rebuke from House Science, Space, and Technology Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-TX).

Last year the administration also delayed the development of the Space Launch System. Both of these systems are being developed for deep space human exploration. 

“Once again, the Obama administration is choosing to delay deep space exploration priorities such as Orion and the Space Launch System that will take U.S. astronauts to the Moon, Mars, and beyond," Chairman Smith (pictured) said in a statement. "While this administration has consistently cut funding for these programs and delayed their development, Congress has consistently restored funding as part of our commitment to maintaining American leadership in space. We must chart a compelling course for our nation’s space program so that we can continue to inspire future generations of scientists, engineers and explorers.  I urge this administration to follow the lead of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee’s NASA Authorization Act to fully fund NASA’s exploration programs.”

NASA had previously planned to launch a manned Orion mission by 2021. The agency announced similar delays last fall. Smith has repeatedly criticized the Obama administration for failure to request adequate funding for Orion and the Space Launch System; the administration’s FY16 budget request proposed cuts of more than $440 million for the programs.

The House Science Committee’s NASA Authorization Act for 2016 and 2017 sought to restore $440 million to these crucial programs being developed to return U.S. astronauts to deep space destinations such as the Moon and Mars. That bill also restored funding for planetary science accounts that have been responsible for missions such as the recent Pluto fly-by, and provided full funding for the other space exploration programs such as Commercial Crew and Commercial Cargo programs.

(Image from file)

FMI: http://science.house.gov

Advertisement

More News

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (08.27.25)

Aero Linx: The American Society of Aerospace Medicine Specialists (ASAMS) The Society is a non-profit organization created to serve as a voice for and represent the professional ne>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (08.27.25): Class C Service

Class C Service This service provides, in addition to basic radar service, approved separation between IFR and VFR aircraft, and sequencing of VFR aircraft, and sequencing of VFR a>[...]

ANN FAQ: Submit a News Story!

Have A Story That NEEDS To Be Featured On Aero-News? Here’s How To Submit A Story To Our Team Some of the greatest new stories ANN has ever covered have been submitted by our>[...]

Airborne-NextGen 08.26.25: Iran UAV Knockoffs, X-37B Spaceplane, Army Training

Also: ERAU Uses UAVs, P550 Group 2 UAS, Starship’s Florida Launches, NASA Missions Chopped The Air Force has put out a call to commission a one-to-one copy of the Iranian-des>[...]

Classic Klyde Morris (08.25.25)

Classic Klyde Morris From 11.07.16 (and Remembering Bob...) FMI: www.klydemorris.com>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC