Naval Air Station Oceana Air Show Canceled Due to Coronavirus | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-08.25.25

Airborne-NextGen-08.26.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.27.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-08.28.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.22.25

Tue, Aug 24, 2021

Naval Air Station Oceana Air Show Canceled Due to Coronavirus

Local Naval Installations Are Currently In HPCON Level Bravo (plus)

The 2021 Naval Air Station Oceana Air Show has been canceled, "due to high community transmission of the coronavirus."

Naval installations in Hampton Roads are currently in Health Protection Condition (HPCON) Level Bravo (plus), which means there’s a daily average of 16 to 30 new coronavirus cases per 100,000 population in the past seven days. When the public was invited to this year’s air show in July, local installations were in HPCON Alpha.

In HPCON Alpha, the daily average of new coronavirus cases must be less than two new cases per 100,000 population in the past seven days. Since that time, local cases have spiked significantly and current trends indicate a resurgence with the Delta variant peak occurring the week prior to the air show.

As a result, base officials determined the air show cannot proceed. “I know this is disappointing to everyone who looks forward to coming onto base, seeing our high-performance aircraft, and meeting the men and women of naval aviation who call Oceana home,” said Capt. Bob Holmes, Naval Air Station Oceana’s commanding officer. “But this is the right thing to do to ensure the health and safety of our force and safeguard the Navy’s mission readiness.”

The Naval Air Station Oceana Air Show is the Navy’s largest community outreach event in Hampton Roads, and has been held nearly every year since 1953. It typically attracts more than 250,000 spectators during the two-day show, which was scheduled to include performances by the Blue Angels this year.

“With a quarter of a million spectators who love to cheer on the Navy, it wasn’t practical to let the show go on as the pandemic undergoes a resurgence,” Holmes said.

“Safety must always be our top priority.” Last year’s in-person air show was also canceled to help stop the spread of COVID-19, and instead, a first-of-its-kind live broadcast air show was held. There will not be a similar broadcast this year.

FMI: www.oceanaairshow.com

Advertisement

More News

Aero-News: Quote of the Day (08.28.25)

“We have seen astounding demand for the G800, and the entire Gulfstream team is excited to begin making deliveries to our customers. The G800 is entering service with extraor>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (08.28.25)

Aero Linx: Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) Recreational Aviation Australia is progressively working towards improving safety outcomes through a holistic approach to safety >[...]

Classic Klyde Morris (08.25.25)

Classic Klyde Morris From 11.07.16 (and Remembering Bob...) FMI: www.klydemorris.com>[...]

Airborne 08.25.25: Zenith Homecoming, VP Racing, Affordable Flying Expo 2025

Also: GADFLY AI-Driven Engine Analysis, Knockoff Iranian Drones, Russian Surveillance, 40 NASA Missions Chopped This year’s Zenith Homecoming event will soon be taking off at>[...]

Airborne 08.22.25: ARC Spinoff, Nat'l Championship Air Races, Hawkins Accident

Also: H55 Completes American Tour, Robinson Trade-Ins, Retired AV-8B Harrier, NS-35 Mission Organizers of the iconic annual Air Race Classic will soon be opening registration for t>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC