Report: Gates Pleased With Congressional Response To Budget... So Far | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-08.25.25

Airborne-NextGen-08.26.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.27.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-08.28.25

AirborneUnlimited-08.22.25

Wed, Apr 15, 2009

Report: Gates Pleased With Congressional Response To Budget... So Far

Lawmakers Return Next Week, And That's When The Fireworks Will Really Begin

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Tuesday he's been "pleasantly surprised" so far by the relatively muted response from lawmakers after his announcement of plans to cut spending on several high-dollar projects, including the F-22 Raptor fighter and VH-71 presidential helicopter.

Given those cutbacks -- if approved -- would affect millions of dollars and thousands of jobs in congressional districts all over the country, many expected Congress to decry Gates' proposal... but so far, the anticipated uproar hasn't come to pass.

"It seems to me that a number of the responses have been thoughtful, and [lawmakers] have been willing to take this seriously and in the vein it was intended," Gates told reporters traveling with him, reports The Washington Post.

As ANN reported, in his FY 2010 Pentagon budget submitted April 6, Gates recommended the Defense Department cut all further funding for production of the F-22A Raptor, and halting development of the controversial VH-71 presidential helicopter replacement and almost equally-contentious US Air Force Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR-X) helicopter.

Funding for those programs would be shifted instead to funding so-called "nonconventional" warfare programs, as seen in the current insurgent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. That plan received the unexpected endorsement from US Air Force Secretary Michael Donley and Chief of Staff General Norton Schwartz, in a Monday op-ed piece published in the Post.

A few lawmakers have come forward to protest those proposed cuts, mostly to the F-22... but so far, those comments have been relatively muted.

There is a punch line here, though. Congress is still on its version of "spring break," and lawmakers won't be back on the job until next week. Gates realizes that may be when the real fireworks begin.

"I don't know whether I am in the eye of the storm," he said Tuesday.

FMI: www.defenselink.mil

Advertisement

More News

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (08.27.25)

Aero Linx: The American Society of Aerospace Medicine Specialists (ASAMS) The Society is a non-profit organization created to serve as a voice for and represent the professional ne>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (08.27.25): Class C Service

Class C Service This service provides, in addition to basic radar service, approved separation between IFR and VFR aircraft, and sequencing of VFR aircraft, and sequencing of VFR a>[...]

ANN FAQ: Submit a News Story!

Have A Story That NEEDS To Be Featured On Aero-News? Here’s How To Submit A Story To Our Team Some of the greatest new stories ANN has ever covered have been submitted by our>[...]

Airborne-NextGen 08.26.25: Iran UAV Knockoffs, X-37B Spaceplane, Army Training

Also: ERAU Uses UAVs, P550 Group 2 UAS, Starship’s Florida Launches, NASA Missions Chopped The Air Force has put out a call to commission a one-to-one copy of the Iranian-des>[...]

Classic Klyde Morris (08.25.25)

Classic Klyde Morris From 11.07.16 (and Remembering Bob...) FMI: www.klydemorris.com>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC