NASA Eyes Cold Front Ahead Of Friday's STS-126 Launch | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne Unlimited-
Monday

Airborne-Unmanned w/AUVSI-
Tuesday

Airborne Unlimited-
Wednesday

AMA Drone Report-
Thursday

Airborne Unlimited-
Friday

Airborne On ANN

Airborne Unlimited--01.13.20

Airborne UnManned--
01.14.20

Airborne Unlimited--01.15.20

AMA Drone Report--01.16.20

Airborne Unlimited--01.17.20

Airborne-YouTube

Airborne Unlimited--01.13.20

Airborne UnManned--
01-14.20

Airborne Unlimited--01.15.20

AMA Drone Report--01.16.20

Airborne Unlimited--01.17.20

Wed, Nov 12, 2008

NASA Eyes Cold Front Ahead Of Friday's STS-126 Launch

Rain, Clouds May Postpone Mission To ISS

The countdown clock is ticking towards Friday's scheduled launch of the space shuttle Endeavour... but an approaching weather system may dash hopes of an on-time liftoff.

The Associated Press reports a cold front is forecast to bring cloudy skies and rain to Florida's Space Coast by the end of the week, which could pose problems for the nighttime launch.

The launch window for the STS-126 mission to the International Space Station runs through November 25, so a Friday launch isn't imperative. NASA would prefer to launch the shuttle sooner rather than later, however, to insure the orbiter and its crew are back on Earth in time for the space agency to close for the Thanksgiving holiday.

The seven-member STS-126 crew (shown above) arrived at Kennedy Space Center this week to begin their pre-launch preparations. The countdown clock started Tuesday night.

For the moment, there's still a 60 percent probability acceptable weather conditions will prevail Friday, shuttle weather officer Kathy Winters said. Should the targeted 1955 EST launch be postponed, however, that forecast drops to just 40 percent favorability on Saturday.

"The timing of the front will be critical," she said.

As ANN reported, STS-126 will transport some much-needed improvements to the ISS, including two additional sleeping berths, a new refrigerator, and a kitchenette. The first components of an innovative water filtering and recycling system will also be installed.

Astronauts are also scheduled to perform repairs to a problematic joint on one of the station's solar arrays, that has caused problems since late last year. Three crewmembers will take turns cleaning and lubricating the right-side solar alpha rotary joint.

"This mission is all about home improvement, home improvement both inside and outside," STS-126 Commander Christopher Ferguson said Tuesday.

FMI: www.nasa.gov/shuttle

Advertisement

More News

Airborne 01.17.20: A/C Registration Warning, iFly GPS Update, Boeing's Net Loss

Also: NBAA Updates Jet Resource, New Virgin Galactic COO, Heathrow Anti-Drone System, Gogo And Hispasat Deal EAA is warning the aviation community to regard any solicitation they m>[...]

Airborne-Unmanned 01.14.20: 1st US EHang Flt, $6M For Kratos, Unlawful Drone Ops

Also: Karma Firmware Update, Swift Tactical Systems, Drone-Based Home Security, Drone Swarms (Again) EHang conducted its first-ever US trial flight of its two-seater passenger-grad>[...]

Airborne 01.15.20: Shootdown Arrests, Airbus BelugaXL, Orbis Flying Eye Hospital

Also: Hartzell 5-Blade CASA 212, Muilenburg Leaves Boeing W/$62M, FreeFlight Systems, 50 C-130Js Authorities in Iran have made several arrests in connection with the accidental sho>[...]

AMA Drone Report 01.16.20: Remote ID Opposition, DRL Tryouts, Karma Updated

Also: Super Bowl LIV Regs, Drone-Based Home Security, Unlawful Drone Ops, Red Cat Acquisition With the recent announcement of a Model Aircraft Political Action Committee and dozens>[...]

Airborne 01.17.20: A/C Registration Warning, iFly GPS Update, Boeing's Net Loss

Also: NBAA Updates Jet Resource, New Virgin Galactic COO, Heathrow Anti-Drone System, Gogo And Hispasat Deal EAA is warning the aviation community to regard any solicitation they m>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2020 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC