Thu, Apr 04, 2013
Nonprofits In Airline's Hub Cities Will Benefit
The US Airways Education Foundation will award $270,000 in grants this year to nonprofit organizations in the airline's hub cities of Charlotte, N.C., Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington, D.C. Organizations may apply for a minimum of a $10,000 grant from the Foundation's Community Education Grant program at usairways.com/corporate giving starting April 1. Grants will be awarded to children's educational programs aimed to increase academic achievement for those they serve. Since 1992, the US Airways Education Foundation has awarded nearly $4.9 million in scholarships and grants.
The grant application must be completed and submitted by 11:59 p.m. PDT July 1, 2013. The program is open to nonprofit organizations located within the airline's hub cities of Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington, D.C., with qualifying children's educational programs meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Educational programs that focus on learning and academic achievement for economically disadvantaged children age 18 and younger.
- At least 75 percent of the population served by the program must qualify for free and reduced price meals.
- Educational programs that focus on learning and academic achievement for developmentally disabled children age 18 and younger.
- At least 75 percent of the population served by the program must qualify for special needs education as defined by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Programs that increase student interest and academic achievement in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) for children age 18 and younger.
- Innovative, evidence-based programs designed to increase the participation and academic achievement of students in STEM.
The following organizations received $10,000 grants last year:
- Charlotte, N.C. – Allegro Foundation, Discovery Place, Freedom School Partners, Junior Achievement of Charlotte and Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) of the Central Carolinas
- Philadelphia – Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia Inc., Chester County Futures Inc., iPRAXIS Inc., North Penn Valley Boys & Girls Club and Philadelphia Futures
- Phoenix – Arizona Science Center, Boys & Girls Club of Metropolitan Phoenix, Elevate Phoenix, Hands On Greater Phoenix and the Phoenix Symphony
- Washington, D. C. – Higher Achievement Program, Inc. and Resources for Inner City Children
The amount of annual funding is subject to change from year to year and is solely dependent on funds raised in the previous year. Funding sources include contributions from US Airways employees, corporate contributions, private donations and fundraising events, such as the popular Suitcase Soirées in Charlotte and Philadelphia, and a golf tournament in Phoenix. Due to these contributions, more than $667,000 in scholarship and grants will be awarded by the Foundation in 2013.
In addition to support of the Education Foundation, US Airways provides charitable contributions to nonprofit organizations in the airline's hubs through four channels of giving: the Corporate Giving Program, the US Airways Education Foundation, the US Airways Community Foundation and the annual "Hope Takes Flight" campaign benefiting the United Way. In 2012, US Airways and its employees gave more than $9 million in cash and travel contributions to nonprofit organizations that enrich, educate and engage the communities served by the airline.
Retired AOPA President Still Understands What An Association Must Do To Serve An Embattled Industry Originally WebCast October 18, 2012: Its been nearly four years since Phil Boyer>[...]
AD NUMBER: 2014-07-10 PRODUCT: Ballonbau Wörner GmbH Models NL-280/STU, NL-380/STU, NL-510/STU, NL-640/STU, NL-840/STU, and NL-1000/STU balloons.>[...]
Planning Ahead And Staying Safe Saves A Professional Airshow Pilot Dan Marcotte describes himself on his website as being determined and driven with a sense of vision. His adventur>[...]
Send Them A Story -- We Don't Mind! Do you need another set of eyes to see that story you can't believe Jim just wrote? Want to spread Hognose's unique wisdom and perspective to th>[...]
AD NUMBER: 2014-07-08 PRODUCT: Centrair Model 101, 101A, 101AP, and 101P gliders.>[...]