Intergalactic Battle Brews As Spacehab Sues NASA | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-11.24.25

AirborneNextGen-
11.18.25

Airborne-Unlimited-11.19.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-11.20.25

AirborneUnlimited-11.21.25

LIVE MOSAIC Town Hall (Archived): www.airborne-live.net

Thu, Jan 22, 2004

Intergalactic Battle Brews As Spacehab Sues NASA

Equipment Loss Cited As Main Beef Against Agency

Spacehab Inc., maker of the living modules used in the U.S. space shuttle fleet, slapped NASA with a big lawsuit on Tuesday, as it tries to recoup its losses from the tragic Columbia crash. The company filed an $87.7 million formal claim against the space agency for equipment destroyed during the shuttle disaster last year. Spacehab bases the merits of its case on the recent findings of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board (CAIB).

Spacehab, which had filed a draft claim in July, said it revised its newest claim to incorporate the findings of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board report. The CAIB said in August that NASA officials missed eight chances to address fears that falling insulation foam may have damaged the shuttle, which broke apart over Texas last Feb. 1, killing all seven astronauts aboard.

The foam that tumbled from the ship's external tank just after takeoff was ultimately found to be the accident's likely cause. Houston-based Spacehab said it was in "discussions" with NASA with the goal of settling the claim as soon as possible. NASA spokesman Doc Mirelson said he had not seen Spacehab's claim and had no immediate comment.

The company, which also trains astronauts, said its contract with NASA included a provision that accounted for loss or damage to its flight hardware up to $8 million. Spacehab's final claim also includes millions of dollars for "losses in addition to those contractually specified."  However, the company said in a statement it does not know when or how much it will receive for its claim from NASA.

FMI: www.spacehab.com

Advertisement

More News

Classic Aero-TV: Extra; the Airplane, the Man, and His Grand DeLand Plan

From 2023 (YouTube Edition): Germany’s Best by Way of Florida Established in 1980 by German aerobatic pilot Walter Extra as a means by which to design and develop his own air>[...]

ANN FAQ: Follow Us On Instagram!

Get The Latest in Aviation News NOW on Instagram Are you on Instagram yet? It's been around for a few years, quietly picking up traction mostly thanks to everybody's new obsession >[...]

Aero-News: Quote of the Day (11.27.25)

“Achieving PMA for the S-1200 Series magnetos is another step in expanding our commitment to providing the aviation community with the most trusted and durable ‘firewal>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (11.27.25): Ultralight Vehicle

Ultralight Vehicle A single-occupant aeronautical vehicle operated for sport or recreational purposes which does not require FAA registration, an airworthiness certificate, or pilo>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (11.27.25)

Aero Linx: The de Havilland Moth Club Ltd The de Havilland Moth Club evolved from a belief that an association of owners and operators of Moth aeroplanes should be formed to create>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC