Canada Bails On Super Hornet Deal With Boeing | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-11.24.25

AirborneNextGen-
11.18.25

Airborne-Unlimited-11.19.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-11.20.25

AirborneUnlimited-11.21.25

LIVE MOSAIC Town Hall (Archived): www.airborne-live.net

Mon, Dec 11, 2017

Canada Bails On Super Hornet Deal With Boeing

Will Acquire Jets From Australia Rather Than Purchase New Aircraft, Citing Trade Dispute

Boeing's trade dispute with Bombardier has led the Canadian government to cancel its plans to buy 18 Super Hornet jet fighters, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Boeing has accused Bombardier of dumping airliners on the U.S. Market. It filed a complaint with the U.S. Commerce department, which imposed a 300 percent tariff on Bombardier's C-Series airliners. Boeing claimed that the Canadian government illegally subsidized the single-aisle jets and was offering the airplanes at "absurdly low" prices to U.S. carriers.

MSN reports that the Liberal government of Canada has now decided to scrap a deal it had with Boeing for 18 new Super Hornet fighters, opting instead to buy older model F-18s from Australia which are the same variant currently flown by Canada. Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had said late last year that he considered the new fighters a stopgap measure while the government initiated a competition for a permanent replacement for its fleet of aging CF-18 jets.

But with the relationship between Boeing and Bombardier crumbling, and increased trade tensions between the U.S., Canada and Mexico over President Donald Trump's views of NAFTA, the deal may be off, the sources said.

Australia's Ministry of Defense confirmed that Canada had formally expressed interest in several of its F/A-18 Classic Hornets in September.

Canada is expected to formally announce its requirements for a new fighter fleet early next year, beginning the competitive acquisition process.

While Trudeau had initially said that the F-35 built by Lockheed Martin was out of the running because of its cost, LMC will now be able to bid on the contract, according to the report.

(Image from file)

FMI: Original Report

Advertisement

More News

Aero-News: Quote of the Day (11.26.25)

“We are disappointed with today’s verdict and respectfully disagree with the outcome. From the outset, we have maintained that Gogo’s independently developed 5G t>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (11.26.25): Takeoff Hold Lights (THL)

Takeoff Hold Lights (THL) The THL system is composed of in-pavement lighting in a double, longitudinal row of lights aligned either side of the runway centerline. The lights are fo>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (11.26.25)

Aero Linx: The 1-26 Association (Schweizer) The Association’s goal is to foster the helpfulness, the camaraderie, and the opportunity for head-to-head competition that is fou>[...]

Airborne Affordable Flyers 11.20.25: Sonex $$$, SnF 26 MOSAIC DAY, P. Ponk STCs

Also: Elfin 20 Journey, BASE Jumper Rescue, Pipistrel Makes Waves, EAA Hall of Fame, Affordable Flying Expo 2026 Like most of the industry, kit manufacturer Sonex has been hit by t>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (11.27.25)

Aero Linx: The de Havilland Moth Club Ltd The de Havilland Moth Club evolved from a belief that an association of owners and operators of Moth aeroplanes should be formed to create>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC