Virgin Galactic Is Six Years Behind Schedule | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-11.24.25

AirborneNextGen-
11.18.25

Airborne-Unlimited-11.19.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-11.20.25

AirborneUnlimited-11.21.25

LIVE MOSAIC Town Hall (Archived): www.airborne-live.net

Tue, Sep 23, 2014

Virgin Galactic Is Six Years Behind Schedule

Had Promised The First Commercial Flights By Early 2009

With great fanfare, Sir Richard Branson said back in 2005 that he would have civilians in space by "2008 or early 2009," and the wealthy lined up to put down deposits on their space adventures.

Similarly, the taxpayers of New Mexico agreed to $225 million in taxes and incentives to build a spaceport in the desert. That has been accomplished. There is a 12,000 foot runway, fuel depot, and high-tech weather station at Spaceport America.

But the U.K. newspaper The Mail reports that the citizens of New Mexico have not seen any return on their investment in Virgin Galactic, and only 10 local jobs have been created so far. Meanwhile, the company is about six years behind schedule for that first ride aboard SpaceShipTwo to the fringe of space.

There has been some progress. SpaceShipTwo has flown under its own rocket power past the speed of sound to an altitude of 71,000 feet. But it remains a prototype under development.

The paper reports that some of those who have ponied up as much as $225,000 for a slot aboard the spacecraft are getting "restless". They first put down their deposits in 2005, meaning next year would mark a decade since they got in line.

Branson now says the first flight of SpaceShipTwo to space will be in February or March of 2015. But Pat Hynes, the director of the New Mexico Space Grant Consortium says it's unlikely that the first tourists will be aboard before 2018. Hynes said that everyone who has asked for a refund of their deposit has received it from Branson.

Still, Virgin Galactic CEO George Whitesides says that the business model is solid and the goal is attainable. "Our priority has always been to do thing right, because this is a complex project," he told the paper.

FMI: www.virgingalactic.com

Advertisement

More News

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (11.25.25)

Aero Linx: Vintage Sailplane Association The purpose of the Vintage Sailplane Association (VSA) is to promote the acquisition, restoration and flying of vintage sailplanes by its m>[...]

NTSB Final Report: Glasair GlaStar

Smoke Began Entering The Cockpit During The Landing Flare, And Then The Pilot Noticed Flames... Analysis: The pilot reported that about 30 minutes into the local flight, he heard s>[...]

ANN FAQ: Turn On Post Notifications

Make Sure You NEVER Miss A New Story From Aero-News Network Do you ever feel like you never see posts from a certain person or page on Facebook or Instagram? Here’s how you c>[...]

Classic Aero-TV: Red Tail Project Update – Taking the Mission to the People

From 2010 (YouTube Edition): The Red Tail Project Continues Effort Towards ‘Rise Above Program’ The Red Tail Project is a true example of this unbreakable spirit. In 20>[...]

Airborne 11.24.25: ANN's 30th!, Starship’s V3 Booster Boom, Earhart Records

Also: 1st-Ever Space Crime Was a Fraud, IAE Buys Diamonds, Kennon Bows Out, Perseverance Rover An interesting moment came about this past Sunday as ANN CEO, Jim Campbell, noted tha>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC