Air Force Budget Ends MQ-9 Reaper Program | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Most Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On YouTube

Airborne-Unlimited-11.24.25

AirborneNextGen-
11.18.25

Airborne-Unlimited-11.19.25

Airborne-AffordableFlyers-11.20.25

AirborneUnlimited-11.21.25

LIVE MOSAIC Town Hall (Archived): www.airborne-live.net

Sat, Feb 29, 2020

Air Force Budget Ends MQ-9 Reaper Program

Cuts Total Buy To 337 Aircraft

The U.S. Air Force has decided to end its acquisition of MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aircraft in Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 rather than gradually winding down the program.

Air Force Magazine reports that the Air Force revealed in its FY2021 that it will buy its last 24 Reapers this year, which cuts the total acquisition of the aircraft to 337 units. The final Block 5 drones will be delivered in 2023 and 2024.

“In response to direction in the 2018 National Defense Strategy, which directs the services to accept near-term risk in exchange for long-term capability enhancements, the Air Force is shifting its investment towards improved readiness and increased lethality for operations against near-peer adversaries,” service spokesman Capt. Jake Bailey said Feb. 26.

According to the report, the Air Force believes that the MQ-9 can no longer be effective against new air defenses and aircraft developed by countries like Russia and China.

The Air Force now plans to spend $302.5 million between 2021 and 2023 to wind down production. Previously, it had planned to acquire an additional 100 Reapers though 2023. The production line shutdown was first reported by Inside Defense earlier this month.

Chris Pehrson, General Atomics’ vice president of strategic development, said the abrupt shutdown of the production line without a transition plan jeopardizes the services ISR capabilities.

Pehrson said that he believes Congress will move to change the Air Force's plan. He said the announcement was likely a "budget drill", and that in the past, lawmakers have added money to buy more MQ-9s.

(Image from file)

FMI: Source report

Advertisement

More News

Aero-News: Quote of the Day (11.26.25)

“We are disappointed with today’s verdict and respectfully disagree with the outcome. From the outset, we have maintained that Gogo’s independently developed 5G t>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (11.26.25): Takeoff Hold Lights (THL)

Takeoff Hold Lights (THL) The THL system is composed of in-pavement lighting in a double, longitudinal row of lights aligned either side of the runway centerline. The lights are fo>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (11.26.25)

Aero Linx: The 1-26 Association (Schweizer) The Association’s goal is to foster the helpfulness, the camaraderie, and the opportunity for head-to-head competition that is fou>[...]

Airborne Affordable Flyers 11.20.25: Sonex $$$, SnF 26 MOSAIC DAY, P. Ponk STCs

Also: Elfin 20 Journey, BASE Jumper Rescue, Pipistrel Makes Waves, EAA Hall of Fame, Affordable Flying Expo 2026 Like most of the industry, kit manufacturer Sonex has been hit by t>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (11.27.25)

Aero Linx: The de Havilland Moth Club Ltd The de Havilland Moth Club evolved from a belief that an association of owners and operators of Moth aeroplanes should be formed to create>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2025 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC