Five Companies Drop Out Of USAF SAR Helicopter Competition | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Airborne On ANN

Airborne 03.23.15

Airborne 03.24.15

Airborne 03.25.15

Airborne 03.26.15

Airborne 03.20.15

Airborne Hi-Def On YouTube

Airborne 03.23.15

Airborne 03.24.15

Airborne 03.25.15

Airborne 03.26.15

Airborne 03.20.15

Mon, Dec 17, 2012

Five Companies Drop Out Of USAF SAR Helicopter Competition

Potential Bidders Say Process Favors Sikorsky For 112 Aircraft Contract

Five major defense contractors have pulled out of an Air Force competition to produce 112 new SAR helicopters, saying the bidding process is unfair. But the Air Force says the requirements for the helicopter will drive the competition.

The companies that have said they will not offer bids include Northrop Grumman, which had teamed with Finmeccanica of Italy, the parent company of AgustaWestland; Boeing; Bell Helicopter; and American Eurocopter. The companies said that the way the Air Force had structured the bidding process would have required them to spend money in an effort that had little or no chance of producing a winning aircraft. EADS/Airbus had similar comments when Boeing won the contract to build the KC-45A tanker.

Reuters reports that a senior defense official not authorized to talk to the media said the Pentagon had insisted that the Air Force be specific about the requirements for the new helicopter, and let potential bidders know how valuable additional capabilities might be. Those who withdrew from the competition said that the requirements clearly favor Sikorsky's Black Hawk, and that any additional capabilities would not be enough to tip the scales in their favor.

The unnamed official said that the Defense Department was committed to open and transparent competitions, but with clearly defined requirements for the aircraft. He said no company had been pre-selected to build the helos.

The Pentagon does have policies in place to deal with a sole-source competition, but the Air Force has not yet said if it will change the bidding process in an effort to attract additional bids.

FMI: www.af.mil, www.dod.gov

Advertisement

More News

Airborne 03.25.15: HR476 Opposed, AEA2015 LIVE Schedule, Airbus' 9000th A/C

Also: Nanchang CJ-6A, USAF T-X Program, UK AAIB Withholds Info, Aussie Aero-Politics, GPS Errors Found, ATC Reform House Bill HR 476 will eliminate G.I. training benefits for those>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Linx (03.26.15)

Addison Pemberton's Boeing Model 40 The first Model 40 was built for a 1925 U.S. Post Office competition as a replacement for the converted military de Havillands that had carried >[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (03.26.15): Few Clouds

An official sky cover classification for aviation weather observations, descriptive of a sky cover of 1/8 to 2/8.>[...]

Aero-News: Quote Of The Day (03.26.15)

“NBAA will continue to monitor the situation and pursue all available options to ensure access to and the future viability of Santa Monica airport, which is not only an impor>[...]

ANN FAQ: View Aero-News YOUR Way... The 'Headlines Only' Option

Choose How YOU Want To View Your Aero News: 'Headlines Only' Mode We're all pretty excited about the new website design here at ANN, but we HAVE heard from some of you that you lik>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2015 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC