Wed, Jul 11, 2012
Doolittle Raiders, Tuskegee Airmen Among Those Recognized At EAA AirVenture
Veterans from two legendary World War II military units are among the honored guests this year during the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air" at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh on July 23-29 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
EAA AirVenture also includes homebuilts, vintage aircraft, ultralights as part of more than 10,000 airplanes that attend, along with 500,000 visitors from 65 nations. It includes unmatched highlights from all segments of aviation, along with entertainment and activities for the entire family.
Among the highlights and special guests of the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air":
- Doolittle Raiders Dick Cole and David Thatcher, two of the remaining five surviving Raiders who in 1942 flew a surprise bombing attack on Japan
- Up to 10 members of the Tuskegee Airmen, the African-American fighter pilot group that overcame discrimination to post a superior flying record in Europe
- A special screening of the movie "Red Tails," introduced by George Lucas, the film's director
- Public forums and autograph sessions featuring the Doolittle Raiders and Tuskegee Airmen
- An Old Glory Honor Flight with nearly 100 World War II veterans that departs from the AirVenture grounds and returns to a huge welcome home on Friday, July 27
- Special warbird air show extravaganzas, featuring more than 100 vintage World War II aircraft and the special "Tora! Tora! Tora!" tribute to Pearl Harbor survivors
"We are honored to pay tribute at Oshkosh to those who sacrificed and wrote one of the most important chapters in American and aviation history," said Jim DiMatteo, EAA vice president of AirVenture features and attractions.
"(The) successful launch of the NROL-39 mission is a testament to the tremendous government-industry partnership. We greatly appreciate the teamwork with the NRO Office of Space La>[...]
Lost Communications Loss of the ability to communicate by radio. Aircraft are sometimes referred to as NORDO (No Radio). Standard pilot procedures are specified in 14 CFR Part 91. >[...]
Aero Linx: The Story Of World War 1 Aviation The Spark That Set the World Aflame: The assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand, heir to throne of Austria-Hungary, and his wife i>[...]
A Powerful New Tool For You To Use For Your Aero-Conversations Want to start a conversation about a story you've seen on Aero-News? It's even easier with Disqus, a powerful, web-ba>[...]
NROL-39 Mission Boosted From Vandenberg AFB Thursday Night A United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket carrying a payload for the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) lifted off >[...]