Wed, Jul 11, 2012
Doolittle Raiders, Tuskegee Airmen Among Those Recognized At EAA AirVenture
Veterans from two legendary World War II military units are among the honored guests this year during the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air" at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh on July 23-29 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
EAA AirVenture also includes homebuilts, vintage aircraft, ultralights as part of more than 10,000 airplanes that attend, along with 500,000 visitors from 65 nations. It includes unmatched highlights from all segments of aviation, along with entertainment and activities for the entire family.
Among the highlights and special guests of the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air":
- Doolittle Raiders Dick Cole and David Thatcher, two of the remaining five surviving Raiders who in 1942 flew a surprise bombing attack on Japan
- Up to 10 members of the Tuskegee Airmen, the African-American fighter pilot group that overcame discrimination to post a superior flying record in Europe
- A special screening of the movie "Red Tails," introduced by George Lucas, the film's director
- Public forums and autograph sessions featuring the Doolittle Raiders and Tuskegee Airmen
- An Old Glory Honor Flight with nearly 100 World War II veterans that departs from the AirVenture grounds and returns to a huge welcome home on Friday, July 27
- Special warbird air show extravaganzas, featuring more than 100 vintage World War II aircraft and the special "Tora! Tora! Tora!" tribute to Pearl Harbor survivors
"We are honored to pay tribute at Oshkosh to those who sacrificed and wrote one of the most important chapters in American and aviation history," said Jim DiMatteo, EAA vice president of AirVenture features and attractions.
Three-Eight Charlie If you know the name of the first woman to fly solo around the world, you’re ahead of most people. By the way, if you thought it was Amelia Earhart, you&r>[...]
Holding pattern. A racetrack pattern, involving two turns and two legs, used to keep an aircraft within a prescribed airspace with respect to a geographic fix.>[...]
“We need a world-class system of weather prediction in the United States – one, as the National Academy of Sciences recently put it, that is ‘second to none'." So>[...]
Send Them A Story -- We Don't Mind! Do you need another set of eyes to see that story you can't believe Jim just wrote? Want to spread Hognose's unique wisdom and perspective to th>[...]
Cites 'Strong Record On Aviation Security' The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) has endorsed Congressman Ed Markey for the U.S. Senate, specifically noting his proven rec>[...]