Thu, Dec 20, 2012
Flight Restrictions In Place From December 21 Through January 6
It may be "the most wonderful time of the year" ... unless you happen to be a GA pilot or owner of an aviation business on the island on Oahu. The FAA has posted a TFR with a duration of more than two weeks that covers the entire island of Oahu in anticipation of President Obama's planned vacation.
The TFR consists of a 10 NM "inner core" centered on the Koko Head VORTAC with a flat side that excludes much of the city of Honolulu, but the 30 nm outer ring encompasses the entire island and surrounding ocean. Both rings extend up to FL180.
The FAA classifies airspace defined in this NOTAM as 'National Defense Airspace'. Pilots who do not adhere to the published procedures may be intercepted, detained and interviewed by law enforcement/security personnel. Any of the following additional actions may also be taken against a pilot who does not comply with the requirements or any special instructions or procedures announced in this NOTAM:
- The FAA may take administrative action, including imposing civil penalties and the suspension or revocation of airmen certificates.
- The united states government may pursue criminal charges, including charges under title 49 of the united states code, section 46307
- The united states government may use deadly force against the airborne aircraft, if it is determined that the aircraft poses an imminent security threat.
While the visit will disrupt many normal flight operations, the FAA's NOTAM indicates that there are some business and recreational flights that will be allowed. The NOTAM states that the following operations are permitted only with FAA/TSA/USSS pre-approval between 0900-1700 local daily from the following locations:
- Flight training at Kalaeloa (PHJR) and Dillingham (PHDH) airports.
- Practice approaches at Kalaeloa airport (PHJR).
- Sightseeing operations via pre-approved routes from Honolulu (PHNL) and Turtle Bay Resort heliport (HI58).
- Seaplane operations landing and departing at Honolulu (PHNL).
- Within a 5nm radius, up to but not including 14,500 ft MSL of Dillingham airport (PHDH), excluding special use areas, flight training, parachute jumping and glider operations will be authorized from 0900 to 1700 local daily.
Operators need to be aware that any and/or all operations may be canceled with little or no advanced notice. Pilots on Oahu are advised to carefully check NOTAMS before beginning any flight over the holidays.
Also: Air Show Industry Honors 3, Night OSH Airshow, 'New' Wright Flyer, NTSB Unhappy With UPS/Union, Sleepy Chinese Controllers Pipistrel has flown its two-place electric trainer >[...]
AD NUMBER: 2014-16-26 PRODUCT: Certain Dassault Aviation Model Falcon 900EX airplanes.>[...]
AD NUMBER: 2014-16-28 PRODUCT: Certain Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica S.A. (Embraer) Model EMB-135BJ airplanes.>[...]
The OX Aviation Pioneers Club The club focuses on the era of the Curtiss OX5 engine and the early aviators.>[...]
A great-circle track is the shortest distance between two points on a sphere, and when viewed on a 2-dimensional map the track will appear curved.>[...]