New Rate Structure May Revolutionize Industry... or Not -- It's
Qantas announced that its domestic airfares will be replaced
with a new structure for sale from April 29th. The new fares will
provide greater choice and more flexibility for customers.
Qantas is overhauling its domestic airfares, with a new
structure for sale from April 29, 2003, for travel from July 1,
Qantas Executive General Manager Sales and Marketing John
Borghetti said the new fares would provide greater choice and more
flexibility for customers.
The new range offers:
- one-way fares that can be mixed and matched in any
- the ability to make itinerary changes right up to the day
before travel for all fares, and right up to departure for flexible
- the end of 'minimum stay' and 'Saturday night stay away'
- a more user-friendly booking environment for both customers and
"Our customers have told us that they like the
fact that our current fares are priced for value, but that they
also want a simpler, more innovative way of managing their travel,"
Mr. Borghetti said.
"These new fares will provide greater flexibility by offering
one way fares that can be combined with other fare types to
maximize travel options and suit individual travel needs.
"The fares package will also give customers the opportunity to
change a booking no matter what type of fare has been purchased --
with no charge for many fares, and a $27.50* change fee introduced
for heavily discounted fares."
Mr. Borghetti said the key feature of the new structure was its
simplicity, with the structure streamlined to offer five fare types
instead of the current 11:
- Red e-Deal: Qantas' familiar low online only fares, with the
new feature of changes permitted up to the day before travel for a
- Super Saver: An instant or advanced purchase leisure fare which
is still valid for 12 months in the event of cancellation. Changes
also permitted for a fee.
- Flexi Saver: A lower priced business-friendly fare which allows
fee-free changes up to and including the day of travel.
- Fully Flexible: As the name suggests, a fully flexible
refundable fare which allows fee-free changes, also up to and
including the day of travel.
- Business Class: Fully flexible and tailored for the business
traveler who needs the freedom to be able to make last minute
changes right up to departure.
"These changes will also allow travel agents to
provide an even higher level of service to their customers," Mr.
"They will be able to amend bookings for their customers with
greater ease and offer fares that more closely fit their customers'
The new structure will also see children's fares** offered
across the full spectrum with the exception of Red e-Deals. Under
the current structure, child fares are offered at 50 percent off
only the most expensive full adult fare.
* $27.50 change fee per person per one way trip including
** Children's fares will now be priced at 80 percent of Super Saver
and Flexi Saver fares as well as the more expensive fares.