Five Companies Drop Out Of USAF SAR Helicopter Competition | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Airborne Unlimited-
Monday

Airborne-Unmanned w/AUVSI-
Tuesday

Airborne Unlimited-
Wednesday

AMA Drone Report-
Thursday

Airborne Unlimited-
Friday

Airborne On ANN

Airborne 01.15.18

Airborne-UnManned 01.16.18

Airborne 01.17.18

AMA Drone Report 01.18.18

Airborne 01.19.18

Airborne-YouTube

Airborne 01.15.18

Airborne-UnManned 01.16.18

Airborne 01.17.18

AMA Drone Report 01.18.18

Airborne 01.19.18

Mon, Dec 17, 2012

Five Companies Drop Out Of USAF SAR Helicopter Competition

Potential Bidders Say Process Favors Sikorsky For 112 Aircraft Contract

Five major defense contractors have pulled out of an Air Force competition to produce 112 new SAR helicopters, saying the bidding process is unfair. But the Air Force says the requirements for the helicopter will drive the competition.

The companies that have said they will not offer bids include Northrop Grumman, which had teamed with Finmeccanica of Italy, the parent company of AgustaWestland; Boeing; Bell Helicopter; and American Eurocopter. The companies said that the way the Air Force had structured the bidding process would have required them to spend money in an effort that had little or no chance of producing a winning aircraft. EADS/Airbus had similar comments when Boeing won the contract to build the KC-45A tanker.

Reuters reports that a senior defense official not authorized to talk to the media said the Pentagon had insisted that the Air Force be specific about the requirements for the new helicopter, and let potential bidders know how valuable additional capabilities might be. Those who withdrew from the competition said that the requirements clearly favor Sikorsky's Black Hawk, and that any additional capabilities would not be enough to tip the scales in their favor.

The unnamed official said that the Defense Department was committed to open and transparent competitions, but with clearly defined requirements for the aircraft. He said no company had been pre-selected to build the helos.

The Pentagon does have policies in place to deal with a sole-source competition, but the Air Force has not yet said if it will change the bidding process in an effort to attract additional bids.

FMI: www.af.mil, www.dod.gov

Advertisement

More News

Airborne-Unmanned 01.16.18: AUVSI Trusted Operator, Typhoon H Plus, Intel

Also: Drones Tracking Illegal Dumping, Arctic UAS, Airspace Situational Awareness, TrueView R20 AUVSI has announced the appointment of leading industry stakeholders to serve on a s>[...]

Airborne 01.19.18: Airbus A380 Reprieve, FAA Sued, FAA Defends Drop Zone

Also: Skydiving Museum, Nature Air Suspended, IAC 2017 Collegiate Program, StandardAero Ceases LAX Ops You can hear the sigh of relief from across the Atlantic... After several mon>[...]

AMA Drone Report 01.18.18: 1 Million Drone Reg's, Autel EVO, FAA Sued Again

Also: New DJI Mavic?, SureFly Not Yet, Drones Tracking Illegal Dumping, 'Illicit' Drone Video The FAA has registered a million drones, the DOT announced last week at CES in Las Veg>[...]

Aero-News: Quote of the Day (01.21.18)

“Being in structural maintenance kind of centers around building parts for the aircraft. I took a personal interest in the project because it’s not something we normall>[...]

ANN's Daily Aero-Term (01.21.18): Obstacle Departure Procedure (ODP)

Obstacle Departure Procedure (ODP) A preplanned instrument flight rule (IFR) departure procedure printed for pilot use in textual or graphic form to provide obstruction clearance v>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2018 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC