Wed, May 23, 2012
EU Reports A 'Systematic Non-Reporting' Of Emissions Data
Airlines from India and China have failed to submit 2011 carbon dioxide emissions data in a challenge to European rules looking to expand the ETS. The European Commisson's website said that there has been "systematic non-reporting" of emissions data to and from Europe from ten airlines based in India and China. Europe's carbon program expanded last year to include airlines, who are required to submit last year's emissions data.
Bloomberg News reported that this inclusion of airlines into the ETS provoked opposition from several countries including the U.S., China and Russia who said the ICAO should have the final word on industry greenhouse gas limits. Eight Chinese airlines and two Indian carriers have until mid-June to submit last year's data, according to Connie Hedegaard, EU Climate Commissioner.
Deutsche Bank analyst Isabelle Curien said the airlines that didn't obey the rules probably won't be penalized, but the EU may be more strict next year. "The EU will be very, very flexible. Member States may be unwilling to instigate an operating ban" for airlines that fail to comply. This ban would restrict entry of airlines into Europe.
International carriers will be given emission permits comprising 85 percent of the 2012 industry cap, and will have to purchase the remaining 15 percent at auction. The permits can also be traded among airlines.
Maneuver Performed Aboard CVN 77 The Navy's X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System Demonstrator (UCAS-D) began touch and go landing operations aboard the aircraft carrier USS George H.W.>[...]
HTF7000 Series Surpasses 1.5 Million Flight Hours With Better Than 99 Percent Dispatch Reliability Honeywell has announced that its HTF7350, the latest engine to join its successfu>[...]
Also: PC-12 Record, Maule Nation, Cockpit Lockout, 34,000 Airliners Needed, Beechcraft Wins Big Contract You know you're having a bad day when a flight goes so bad that you feel yo>[...]
Four Buried As A Group May 2 A Navy Pilot, missing from the Vietnam War, has been accounted-for and was buried with full military honors along with his crew. According to the Depar>[...]
Forest Service Smoke Jumpers Smokejumping was first proposed in 1934 by T.V. Pearson, the Forest Service Intermountain Regional Forester, as a means to quickly provide initial atta>[...]