Wed, Jul 11, 2012
Doolittle Raiders, Tuskegee Airmen Among Those Recognized At EAA AirVenture
Veterans from two legendary World War II military units are among the honored guests this year during the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air" at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh on July 23-29 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
EAA AirVenture also includes homebuilts, vintage aircraft, ultralights as part of more than 10,000 airplanes that attend, along with 500,000 visitors from 65 nations. It includes unmatched highlights from all segments of aviation, along with entertainment and activities for the entire family.
Among the highlights and special guests of the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air":
- Doolittle Raiders Dick Cole and David Thatcher, two of the remaining five surviving Raiders who in 1942 flew a surprise bombing attack on Japan
- Up to 10 members of the Tuskegee Airmen, the African-American fighter pilot group that overcame discrimination to post a superior flying record in Europe
- A special screening of the movie "Red Tails," introduced by George Lucas, the film's director
- Public forums and autograph sessions featuring the Doolittle Raiders and Tuskegee Airmen
- An Old Glory Honor Flight with nearly 100 World War II veterans that departs from the AirVenture grounds and returns to a huge welcome home on Friday, July 27
- Special warbird air show extravaganzas, featuring more than 100 vintage World War II aircraft and the special "Tora! Tora! Tora!" tribute to Pearl Harbor survivors
"We are honored to pay tribute at Oshkosh to those who sacrificed and wrote one of the most important chapters in American and aviation history," said Jim DiMatteo, EAA vice president of AirVenture features and attractions.
Stormbirds A confederation of Luftwaffe-related web sites, providing reference-grade coverage of the Messerschmidt 262 and other advanced combat aircraft of the Third Reich.>[...]
A safety alert issued by ATC to aircraft under their control if ATC is aware the aircraft is at an altitude which, in the controller's judgment, places the aircraft in unsafe proxi>[...]
"You have a huge job ahead of you. The challenges are many and the solutions are hard." Source: Senate Commerce Committee Chair Jay Rockefeller (D-WV).>[...]
Get A Customized ANN News Portal For YOUR Website! As we promised, the ever-so-busy software geeks at ANN have been working overtime on a number of cool new tools and toys... and t>[...]
Effort To Raise Funds And Awareness For The Special Operations Warrior Foundation A group of Airmen with the Air Force Seven Summits team reached the highest point of the world, Mo>[...]