Wed, Jul 11, 2012
Doolittle Raiders, Tuskegee Airmen Among Those Recognized At EAA AirVenture
Veterans from two legendary World War II military units are among the honored guests this year during the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air" at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh on July 23-29 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
EAA AirVenture also includes homebuilts, vintage aircraft, ultralights as part of more than 10,000 airplanes that attend, along with 500,000 visitors from 65 nations. It includes unmatched highlights from all segments of aviation, along with entertainment and activities for the entire family.
Among the highlights and special guests of the "Salute to the Greatest Generation in the Air":
- Doolittle Raiders Dick Cole and David Thatcher, two of the remaining five surviving Raiders who in 1942 flew a surprise bombing attack on Japan
- Up to 10 members of the Tuskegee Airmen, the African-American fighter pilot group that overcame discrimination to post a superior flying record in Europe
- A special screening of the movie "Red Tails," introduced by George Lucas, the film's director
- Public forums and autograph sessions featuring the Doolittle Raiders and Tuskegee Airmen
- An Old Glory Honor Flight with nearly 100 World War II veterans that departs from the AirVenture grounds and returns to a huge welcome home on Friday, July 27
- Special warbird air show extravaganzas, featuring more than 100 vintage World War II aircraft and the special "Tora! Tora! Tora!" tribute to Pearl Harbor survivors
"We are honored to pay tribute at Oshkosh to those who sacrificed and wrote one of the most important chapters in American and aviation history," said Jim DiMatteo, EAA vice president of AirVenture features and attractions.
Numerous Flights Cancelled Saturday Britain's Air Traffic Control system suffered what was described as a "technical problem" Saturday resulting in widespread cancellations of flig>[...]
Also: Bell 47 Update, USSC Aero-Legal Decision Coming, Evergreen Kaput, Blue Angels Full Sked The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds demonstration team is on the airshow circuit again. Ev>[...]
Designed To Pull Spacecraft Away From A Failing Booster In Launch Emergency Scenario NASA engineers and contractors have successfully completed the Orion Launch Abort System (LAS) >[...]
The Aero Experience A blog focusing on GA and sport aviation in the midwest.>[...]
The runway length declared available and suitable for the ground run of an airplane taking off.>[...]